Begun in 2004 as a student thesis project at Brown University, Farm Fresh has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for RI farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh achieved 501c3 status in 2007, and has since implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system of the Rhode Island region, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of RI, MA and CT eaters with thousands of RI, MA and CT farmers.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Market Mobile is a wholesale local food distribution that connects local farms and food artisans with restaurants, grocery stores and other customers through an online order system and distribution services. Market Mobile is a unique model for wholesale food distribution, designed from the ground up around the needs of farmers and buyers. Every week of the year, family farms and small food producers in Rhode Island and Massachusetts list their fresh produce, eggs, dairy, meat and other value added products for sale to wholesale customers.
The Market Mobile Intern is a 20-35 hours/week internship working directly with the Market Mobile Associate and other team members to help grow the customer base of programs and continue to meet the needs of customers and farmers. The Market Mobile Intern’s primary responsibilities will be focused on the following: outreach and sales, communications, and customer service. On-site orientation and training will be provided.
- Assist with outreach, enrollment, customer service, and organizational support with particular attention paid to growing work with food business in underserved communities
- Participate hands-on with packing local food for a variety of customers (chefs of local restaurants, larger school institutions, co-ops, etc.) by specific orders in a team of staff and volunteers
- Attend health fairs and other events to promote programs
- Facilitate packing paperwork and general administrative support
- Design and administer surveys for participants about their experience with the programs
- Update program blogs and social media communications
- Interest in local farms, agriculture, food
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Willingness to work hands-on with food
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
Availability and Hours
The ideal candidate will be able to commit 20-35hrs/week for the summer and is open to continue throughout the 2019/20 academic year. This is all negotiable and will be tailored to the applicant.
· Duration: Summer 2019
· Hours: 20-35 hours/week
· Location: 1005 Main Street #8130, Pawtucket, RI, 02860
To apply, or with any questions, please contact email@example.com. Please write “Market Mobile Internship” in the subject line and attach a resume and a letter of interest.
Payment and credit must be negotiated between the student and their institution