The Arc of Blackstone Valley is a private non-profit organization that serves and supports adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our mission is to provide community-based learning, supported employment and independent living empowered by choice.
Responsibilities for outreach and community-based group work:
* Work with small groups of individuals with developmental disabilities on developing writing skills
* Work one-on-one each(or small groups) to explore selected themes over several modules with the goal of producing one final writing project per individual, per three week session (Examples: Slater Park setting to explore the environment; library setting to explore books, literature; YMCA setting to explore health and wellness, etc)
* Empower each individual to creatively explore topics and themes each session
* Consider integrating multi-modality strategies to generate thoughtful writing including but not limited to art, music, theater or movement
* Build and maintain effective, thoughtful, and respectful relationships with individuals and staff
* Develop writing tasks that are appropriate for adults with disabilities, respecting their skill base, fine-motor capabilities, age and desire to self-determine and make choices
* Produce a compilation of poems, art and writings and assist in the coordination of a public reading event
Time Commitment (2.5 – 3 hours/wk)
1. Weekly workshops or tutoring sessions with program participants, lasting one hour.
2.Orientation Training Workshop held at the beginning of the semester.
Weekly Reflections to evaluate your workshop/tutoring session after every meeting.
3.Volunteer Meetings: SEADD will meet every Sunday afternoon to plan upcoming workshops as a team.
4,Fundraising: Volunteers are expected to participate in-group fundraising activities to support our annual special events.
5. Special Events: We have an end of the year celebration for all the learners and tutors to showcase what you have been working on for the year and to have some fun!
6. A passionate and dedicated attitude is necessary to volunteer for this program and the ARC. SEADD values meaningful, long-term relationships between volunteers and program participants.
|Causes||Advocacy Arts & Culture Community Persons with Disabilities Education Older Adults Special Needs|
|Skills||Tutoring Mentoring Coaching Performing Arts Event Planning Writing Arts and Crafts Teaching Artistic Help Help w/People Elderly Assistance Recreational Activities|