|Hiring Manager||Ashley Cavallaro|
Artist Mentors at New Urban Arts contribute 4 hours a week between October and May, and also participates in a professional development program of monthly meetings, a 2-day orientation and a full day retreat in February. Mentors must be available in the afternoons, preferably 3-7pm.
Under the direction of the Director of Programs, Mentors will:
Build relationships with young people through conversations and community building:
• Respond to the diversity of backgrounds and experiences of our students.
• Model creative practice (join in the art making) and building community with students.
• Introduce students to new media, artists, galleries, libraries, museums, books, community resources, etc.
• Use an inquiry, asset-based and supportive approach to meeting students’ needs that promotes self-esteem and self-awareness of youth.
Create a safe environment for students to develop their creative practice:
• Create a learning environment clear of bias and judgment.
• Promote an atmosphere of collaboration and high expectations for each student.
• Support students as they learn and grow.
Participate in year-long professional development program:
• Participate in monthly trainings/meetings
• Attend two weekend retreats throughout the programming year
• Share your own process and growth as a mentor within the NUA community with fellow artist mentors through reflective activities.
Contribute to the New Urban Arts Community:
• Participate in organizational events, such as: exhibitions, annual campaign, performances and workshops.