HGI's RUKIYA CENTER in Providence, Rhode Island
Located on the South side of Providence, Rhode Island, HGI's vibrant and welcoming RUKIYA CENTER provides members of the West African Immigrants and Refugees community with elder services (Sweetie Care, African Elders Enrichment Program), Soft skills pre-employment and workforce development, literacy classes for women, basic computer and design classes, therapeutic arts, cultural enrichment, advocacy, case management, immigration & citizenship classes and other wraparound services for youth and families. HGI’s for-profit arm, Broken Pieces International, engages adults, at-risk youth and other under-served populations in the design and manufacture of clothing and accessories that reflect the character and community of both HGI and the West African diaspora. This provides them with vital job training and economic opportunities, and the revenue generated supports HGI’s work in Liberia. This innovative model fosters important connections to the culture and history of the mother country for Liberians living abroad, and reinforces HGI’s mission to uplift communities through empowerment and self-sustainability.
Affiliates (1) View All
The Driver responsibilities include arranging regular cleaning and maintenance services for the vehicle, planning each route based on road and traffic conditions.
Ultimately, you will help us increase participants satisfaction, making sure program participants depend on us for their transportation needs.
To be considered for this role, you MUST have a valid CDL driver’s license and a clean driving record with no traffic violations. Note that you don’t need to have a car; we provide drivers with our own vehicle but must be on time.
Schedule & Hours:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Mornings (6:00am-8:00am) & Afternoons (2:00pm-4:00pm)
Total Hours*: 4 hours per day
*Currently Per Diem work with potential to turn into Part-Time Job
• Map out driving routes ahead of time to determine the most expedient trip
• Coordinate and pick up program participants from the place and at the time they’ve requested
• Assist program participants with loading and unloading
• Listen to traffic and weather reports to stay up to date on road conditions
• Adjust the route to avoid heavy traffic or road constructions, as needed
• Answer program participants’ questions about the area
• Ensure the car seats are clean and comfortable for all riders
• Schedule regular car service appointments and report any issues
• Book car wash and detailing services to maintain interior and exterior cleanliness of the car
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS:
• Proven experience as a Driver
• For insurance reasons, valid driver’s license, drivers must be at least 21 years old and have a clean driving record
• Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required
• Minimum visual acuity of 20/50 (or corrected to 20/50)
• Familiarity with GPS devices
• Knowledge of local area roads and neighborhoods
• Availability to occasionally take weekend and night shifts
• A polite and professional disposition
• Ability to remain calm in stressful driving situations (e.g. at rush hour)
• High School Diploma
About Higher Ground:
Higher Ground International is a forward thinking and culturally grounded intergenerational social service NGO dedicated to restoring dignity, empowering lives, and keeping peace. We provide meaningful opportunities for immigration advocacy, literacy, workforce inclusion and access to healthcare and community integration for African immigrants, refugees and marginalized communities in Rhode Island. This includes creating provisions to improve the lives of people living in the rural villages of West Africa. And, along the way, we provide so much love, a welcoming place and an environment of trust where everybody is somebody.
In our 11th year as a non-profit NGO, HGI is very much a grassroots organization that is flourishing, creating robust programs and real cultural impact in the community. Our team consists of a “Jill of all trades”, never afraid of getting her hands dirty executive director, social work supervisor and interns and a mix of dedicated volunteers. We have an active and engaging board of directors. We are building, learning and having so much fun as we do our best to help change lives for the better. We are uncompromising in how we see and treat people who are deemed different or not one of us. We are sincere about our quest to help restore dignity to our immigrant and refugee community.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Higher Ground International
250 Prairie Avenue
Providence, RI 02905
No Phone Calls or Messages, please.